Sunday, January 3, 2010

Carlton's Favorites from a Year of Reading (2009)

Here are my ten favorite books from a year in which I didn't do nearly as much reading as I would have liked.

10. The Rainmaker by John Grisham
This gets the "Most Timely" award, as I was reading it when the "debate" over health care reform hit a fever pitch.

9. Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
Loved the book. The film, not so much.

8. Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons
I am not a big fan of graphic novels, but this one really blew me away. It was an excellent story, told in a superb fashion.

7. Our Endangered Values by Jimmy Carter
I like sensible people who try to make the world a better place.

6. This Is Where I Came In by Gerald Early
When history is made interesting and relevant, the historian has done their job well.

5. Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis
This was a pleasant surprise. I plan on reading the next book in the series in the coming year.

4. Wolves of the Crescent Moon by Yousef Al-Mohaimeed
If I hear that a book is banned somewhere, it makes me want to pick it up all the more.

3. Fortunate Son by Walter Mosley
Walter Mosley is fast becoming one of my favorite living authors.

2. The Secrets of a Fire King by Kim Edwards
I love short stories, and I loved Edwards' debut novel The Memory Keeper's Daughter.

1. A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
One of the most interesting and enjoyable books that I have read in a long time.

Favorite book about a dog that solves murders: A Dog at Sea by J. F. Englert

Reading Resolution for 2010:
Actually read 50 books.

1 comment:

Christopher said...

That is my sixth favorite book about a dog who solves murders.