Saturday, February 14, 2009

The 2009 Tournament of Books

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it's that time of year again. Spring is just around the corner, Bradford pear trees are blossoming all throughout North Carolina, filling the air with that ungodly, rotting fish stink, and The Morning News is holding their 5th annual, March Madness-style Tournament of books.
Past winners have been pretty damn fine books: Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, The Accidental by Ali Smith, The Road by Cormac McCarthy, and, last year's The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz (did you like that accent mark?). I haven't read that last one, but I know Chris has.

This year's contenders look to be top notch, I was hoping to read White Tiger, 2666 and Unaccostomed Earth anyway. Even if you don't read the books, which, I promise you, I won't, it's fun to follow, if you're a nerd. And if you're posting on or reading this blog, then that you are. And they have a peanut gallery type comments section after each review that I'm pretty sure was inspired by our own here at Fifty Books Project.

So, this years book list has been released, and Powell's is selling all of them for 30% off each.

My primary motivation in posting this now is that Jean Claude Van Damm is driving me batshit crazy.

1 comment:

The Great Catsby said...

Wow first year I had heard about this. I will try to keep up with the comments this year, but sadly there is no way of participating. Next sure I will be sure to leave a large gap in my list to try and get in on the action.