Friday, February 8, 2008

The Language of God by Francis S. Collins

Carlton recommended and loaned me this book. I enjoyed it for the most part. I do not yet know how to link my post with previous bloggers reviews of the same book, but I think that this book was reviewed last year. The book was actually quite different from what I expected. The cover proclaims “A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief”, but the book doesn’t spend much time with such issues. In the sections where the topic “evidence for belief” arises, the reader is usually presented with extensive quotes or paraphrases of C. S. Lewis.

Ultimately, Francis Collins intended this book to be an apologetic, not for belief in the Christian God, but for his belief that the Christian God used evolution to create the universe. I think he makes a good case for his belief, and considering that he is trying to unite two groups that have long been militantly opposed (Creationists and atheistic evolutionists) I can see the wisdom in the subtle misdirection of the title.

3 comments:

Brent Waggoner said...

And the gang's all here.

Christopher said...

It's confusing me that your list page has links that go nowhere. WHATS GOING ON

Carlton Farmer said...

I for one love that you list page has links that go nowhere. Don't listen to Christopher.