Wednesday, March 7, 2007

The Innocent Man by John Grisham

I may destroy my literary credibility here, but I really enjoy John Grisham. Along with Stephen King, I think he's the cream of the crop of popular authors. If you don't believe me, compare a page from any of his books to pap by Dan Brown or the tedium of Tom Clancy. That said, his last few novels haven't really done much for me, so I was excited to hear that The Innocent Man was going to be a true crime novel.

It's a very interesting read, alternatingly disturbing and infuriating, as one miscarriage of justice after another is carried out. In a way, it brings to mind the whole Duke rape scandal, something that was never far from my mind as I read through the book.

The most interesting aspect to me is that, by the end of the book, most of the principle characters have gotten some semblence of justice, but lives have still been totalled in the process. I'd like to write more, but I've got to go. Good book. If you like true crime, check it out.

1 comment:

Carlton Farmer said...

If you like John Grisham so much, why don't you marry him.