Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A Place of My Own by Michael Pollan

Take Peter Eisenman's Tokyo office tower.  Eisenman's deconstructivist design is meant as "a kind of cultural critique of architectural stability and monumentality at a time when modern life itself is becoming increasingly contingent, tentative, and complex."  Evidently the wrenching dislocations and foldings of space in this building will help office workers in Tokyo experience the dislocations and contingencies of contemporary life on a daily basis.  Upsetting people in this manner is apparently taken as proof of success in this type of architecture.

Michael Pollan wants a writing shed (a la Thoreau), so he builds his own.  He keeps repeating that he does this to "add something to the stock of reality" and escape the less concrete world of words for a while, then writes an entire book, out of words, to wax poetic on the cultural histories of different styles of windows and the psychological landscapes they imply.  It's not bad, but there's really only so much one can say about a roof, for example, in a book like this before you're straying dangerously far from reality and drowning in a sea of words.  I was expecting more on the actual construction (which he does go into great detail about), to the point where you could conceivable follow most steps as the house takes shape.

One thing I can say is the man does his damn research.  This is the first I've read by him, I want to take on Botany of Desire next.  But he can cite from anything, whether on the regional 'language' of roofing shingles and what they might suggest or on the development of the independent self coinciding with the development of the private study during the Renaissance.

Another thing is that if Michael Pollan is playing Thoreau (referred to quite a bit, for obvious reasons), he is a rich man's Thoreau, and he knows it.  He's shipping whole fir trees from the Pacific Northwest, having his windows custom made from locally-sourced cedar, and paying an architect and a contractor to guide him through the process hour by hour.

Read this book if you want to build a tiny, super-cozy house behind your regular house.


11 comments:

Brent Waggoner said...

If I purchase this book, what percentage of tiny house building is still my responsibility? I'd purchase it if the book would handle 60-70% of the work.

Nathan said...

If you buy this book, Michael Pollan comes and builds a tiny house FOR you!

Christopher said...

Does the book fold out into a tiny house?

Brent Waggoner said...

How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to read if they can't even fit inside the building?

Nathan said...

A Place of My Own by Derek Zoolander

Unknown said...

Thank you Dr.EZIZA for a wonderful spell you casted for me that brought back my lover within 48 hours.. With these i am convinced that you are sent to this world to rescue people from heart break and to restore broken marriage.. Whoever is having difficulties in his relationship should contact Dr.EZIZA at: ezizaspellhome@gmail.com, Better still you can call him on +2347068534025. He is the solution to any relationship problem and the solution to marriage difficulties.

Unknown said...

I came to this site just to testify to the world one powerful man that brought my lover back to me within the period of 48 hours, Whose name and contact information are Dr.EZIZA and you can contact him at ezizaspellhome@gmail.com or call +2347068534025. At first i never believe that he will ever be able to bring back my lover to me but today through the help of Dr.EZIZA myself and my lover are back together and happy much more than ever.

Unknown said...

I was not happy until i met Dr.Agbazara through these details +2348104102662 OR agbazara@gmail.com because my husband has left me and never had the intention of coming back home. But just within 48 hours that i contacted Dr. Agbazara my marriage changed to the positive side, At first my husband came back home and since then my marriage has been more peaceful and romantic than ever before

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

Kayla Boaten said...

HOW DR AZUKA HERBAL MEDICINE HELPED ME GET RID OF MY 3 YEARS HERPES
Hello everyone, am from Texas USA i have been suffering from (HERPES) disease since 2015 and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulate all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Hepatitis B and Cancer) by this Man Dr Azuka and she also gave the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr Azuka telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as the Doctor assured me that i have been cured,after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have been finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends my advise is, if you have such sickness or any other at all like hepatitis A,B,C, CANCER ,HPV, HIV/AIDS ,DIABETES 1 AND 2, PENIS PROBLEM, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, WEAK ERECTION, PENIS ENLARGEMENT AND many more .......
you can email him on>( Dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com) or call and Whats App him on +2348132777335 i am indeed grateful for the help i will forever recommend you to my friends!!! Thanks.

Jerold said...

I'm here to share a few story on how I save my marriage from going through a divorce, it all started when I find out that my husband was cheating on me and I already have two kids for him, so I don't want the marriage to be broken because if that happens it will be a big load on me taking care of the kids alone for that not to happen, I went searching for solution to make him love me again and stop cheating that is how I came across Dr Ekpen online on what he has done for a lot of people so I contacted him for help and he helped me to cast a love spell on him to love only me and stop cheating. You can contact him today if you are having the same challenges in your relationship on ekpentemple@gmail.com and you will be clad you did.