Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Ant Farm by Simon Rich

This is Simon Rich's first book. I picked it up after reading his second book, Free-Range Chickens, and laughing myself sick. The style of Ant Farm is the same as Chickens: short, off-the-wall, comedic essays. The topics in Ant Farm range from pen pals to Jesus to time traveling.

From the essay "When Small Talk Goes Wrong"
- Do you have the time?
- Shh! It's 4:26 P.M.!
- Huh?
- (whispering) April twenty-sixth, 4:26 P.M., is an official minute of silence. Congress created it to honor the 426 men who died in the Great Boise Fire. My Father was among those men.
- Oh my God, I'm so sorry. I'll stop talking.
- It doesn't matter. The minute has already passed.

4 comments:

Christopher said...

I thought this looked really familiar, and then I realized I'd read it--Alyson reviewed it and I gave her grief for posting on it because she read it in, like, six minutes.

Carlton Farmer said...

It took me 4 days of solid reading (no bathroom breaks).

Carlton Farmer said...

We need a search function on this blog.

Christopher said...

You can search from the edit posts window if you're a contributor.