Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx

Christopher told me I couldn't count this because it's "just a short story." But I told him too bad and I'm counting it because he's not the boss. The website doesn't say "Fifty Books at least 200 pages long Project." And if Nathan can count a comic book, I can count this. So here's my third book. The story is pretty much what you can gather from the commercials about the movie. Proulx manages to cover 20 years in 55 pages, telling the story of two young cowboys in love but unable to be together. Classic. Just like Romeo and Juliet.

There were only the two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawk's back and the crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below, suspended above ordinary affairs and distant from tame ranch dogs barking in the dark hours. They believed themselves invisible...

- Names The two cowboys' names are Ennis Del Mar and Jack Twist. I think that's all I have to say about that.

+ Good plot line At first I couldn't understand how 55 pages became a full-length movie. But then I realized how much she crammed in there. She just jumps from scene to scene, and you're not entirely sure how much time passed in between. It could have been longer and made more sense, but it was interesting enough as it was.

+ It's Short I like books that cut through all the crap and just tell you what happens. I don't need all the fancy prose and long-winded (that means boring) descriptions. I read half the book on the elliptical machine at the gym. Nice.

Overall C+ I was going to give it a C, but I'll give it a C+ because c'mon, it's about cowboys having sex.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

Um, excuse me, but the proper term is graphic novel.