Friday, February 26, 2010

Rocky by Julia Sorel


It's late and I'm tired and I don't want to give this book any more credit than it deserves (which is none), so I'm going to keep this fairly short and sweet. I got this book at the used book store for $3 because it was short and looked terrible. I was right. It's been a long time since I've seen the movie, so I can't exactly remember how true the "book" (using that term loosely) was to it. I mean, if you're going to watch a Rocky movie, why would you not watch Rocky IV, the best movie ever made? But anyway, I do know that Ms. Sorel skipped/changed some of the best parts. For example, you know the scene from Rocky II where the kids follow him running through the neighborhood, chase him to the top of the stairs and dance around him? how wonderfully hokie was that? well, she adds that scene to this book, except instead of them catching him and an impromptu mosh pit breaking out, he loses them. Lame. Also, the writing was terrible. I might come back and give examples later, but frankly there were just so many. So yeah, don't read this book. It's not even worth the ego boost you get from knowing that your writing is head and shoulders above Ms. Sorel's.

3 comments:

Brent Waggoner said...

Fact: The book won the National Book Award the same year the movie won Best Picture.

L said...

Love the last label.

billy said...

fact: i was so horrified that i actually went and looked up the list of national book award winners to confirm that that is NOT true. thank goodness