Saturday, June 30, 2007

The Man Who Was Thursday by G. K. Chesterton

I have started three different reviews for this book in the last hour, and ended up scrapping each one of them. I can't figure out what I want to say about this book. More importantly I can't figure out how to say much about the book without giving away key plot points.

The Man Who Was Thursday follows detective Gabriel Syme, part of a special corps that tracks anarchists in London, as he gets deeper and deeper into a sinister plot to kill a foreign dignitary. Crap, I am really having trouble with this.

I give up. I really enjoyed this book, although I think some of it was over my head. For a much better synopsis, check out Christopher's review of Thursday.

2 comments:

Christopher said...

I loved this book. I think one of the things that impressed me the most about it was the way that at first it seems so stuffy and old-fashioned, but then the final chapter or two are full of this really surreal, beautiful imagery.

Jon said...

Great book. There were certain parts that I was ensure of the interpretation.